IMPORTANT HURRICANE SANDY STORM INFORMATION
Oct 28, 2012 07:00 PM
Oct 29, 2012 11:55 PM
IMPORTANT HURRICANE SANDY STORM INFORMATION
Monday, October 29, 2012
Current forecasts indicate that significant affects from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy will be felt in this area starting this afternoon. As you know, the college has closed today (Monday, October 29, 2012) due to potential issues connected with the storm. Please take note of the following storm-related information, and pay attention throughout the day for additional information.
1. Some students may be considering going home or to an on-campus friend’s apartment for the duration of the storm. Emergency management authorities have recommended that persons stay off the road during this storm, and the State of New Hampshire has specifically asked that motorists stay off the road after 3:00 p.m. We advise anyone considering traveling to an off-campus location to do so with great caution. We also ask any campus residents who choose to leave campus to notify a Resident Advisor before they leave, so that we will have a more accurate account of who is on campus should we need to evacuate residence halls.
2. At this time, the college is only closed for today, Monday, October 29, 2012. If circumstances cause us to consider any additional weather-related closings, we will communicate those using text messaging, e-mail, and postings in the residence halls. Please refer to your e-mail for instructions about how to sign up for the College text messaging service.
3. The College will continue to use electronic communication (text, e-mail, and website updates) as long as we are able. Please keep your phones and wireless devices charged. Additionally, in the event of a loss of power, will post information in the following locations:
Simon Center – Main doors
Colby Hall – Outside of the “Colby Clubhouse” in Colby 3
West Hall – first floor lounge
East Hall – Main Lounge
Charter Hall – Main stairwell on the second floor landing
Connor Hall – Main Lounge
Union Street House – inside main entrance
Sanborn – by the laundry room
Rowe House/Barn – inside the three main entrances
Please note that, in the event of an evacuation, the above-listed
locations will be used as gathering locations to coordinate
transportation to shelters and to hold community meetings.
4. Food service will operate on the following schedule today at Gilmore Hall
Brunch – 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Dinner– 3:00 – 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: Dinner will be served early tonight, and “snack bags” will be available at dinner so that meal plan participants can bring food back to their room for the evening/overnight hours.
Also, in the event of any loss of power, food service times and serving locations may change. Again, please check for current information in the locations listed above.
5. In the event of an extended power outage, residence hall students may be asked to move to a safer location. This may include relocation to an emergency shelter in the town of Henniker. College staff will be on scene to coordinate the relocation.
If you have any medical condition that might be affected by an evacuation or loss of power (mobility issue, severe food allergy, need for refrigerated insulin, etc.), please contact Campus Safety immediately so we can plan for your needs.
Due to the possibility of relocation, we recommend that students prepare an overnight bag with the following items:
• Two days of warm clothing, including rain gear
• Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
• Medicine (prescription and over-the-counter)
• Wallet/purse with insurance cards, identification, etc.
• Cell phone charger
• Homework or school materials
• Games, pleasure reading, etc.
• Snacks and/or drinks (including refillable water bottle)
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Smoking and burning candles in any residence hall or house at any time is prohibited. Please obtain other sources of lighting if you need one, and smokers should continue to leave the building when choosing to smoke.
6. Students who park in the River Lot are advised to move their cars to Larter Lot, as the River Lot area can flood during times of extreme rain.
7. If you need to walk around campus or Henniker during the storm, please keep the following safety precautions in mind:
a. Be sure to lock your doors and close your windows whenever you are not in your room.
b. Please use the Buddy System at all times, walking with at least one other student.
c. If you observe any damage to campus (broken windows, fallen trees, etc.), please avoid those areas and report the damage to a college staff person (including RAs).
Thank you for your cooperation, and please direct any questions you have to a college staff member. Campus Safety will remain staffed around the clock, and Residence Life staff are on-call 24-hours-a-day as well.
Please check back for additional information and further updates