New England College promotes study abroad programs as an important part of its efforts to foster an awareness of world citizenship. We believe in the importance of exposure to different cultures for the personal development of our students. The college maintains cooperative relations with several foreign institutions, maintains affiliation with a number of study abroad program providers, and provides information on a wide variety of academic opportunities abroad.
Students wishing to participate in study abroad opportunities must apply to the Director of Study Abroad (Eugene Durkee, Director of Career & Life Planning) in advance of the projected study abroad semester, and meet the following criteria:
* Students should have successfully completed a minimum of 30 credits in residence at New England College. Transfer credits from other colleges will not normally be applied to this credit total.
* Students should have achieved sophomore status or above.
* Students must have good academic and social standing, including a cumulative grade point average of no less than 2.50 in credits earned at New England College.
Any student not meeting these conditions may petition the Academic Standards Committee.
The priority date for semester-long study abroad applications is the end of the second week of the preceding semester of the intended study. Deadline dates for regular applications to study abroad programs are no later than October 15 (for the Spring semester) and March 15 (for the Fall semester), depending on the international program. The application fee for study abroad programs is set at $250 (of which $50 is non-refundable).
Costs for Study Abroad
Normally, NEC students enrolled in semester-long study abroad programs will continue to pay the standard NEC tuition, room, and board to New England College, which will in turn pay the tuition, room, and board expenses at the study abroad location.
New England College students studying abroad in an approved program continue to be eligible for most of their federal financial aid. Please contact Student Financial Services for further details.
Study Abroad Partners
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
- API Study Abroad
- CIS Abroad
- Kansai Gaidai, Japan
- International Studies Abroad (ISA)
- Regent’s University London
- SUNY Cortland