IT Information for Faculty and Staff
The Information Technology department at New England College supports Students, faculty, and staff for all campus computing needs. HelpDesk support, email services, financial applications, academic application management, network connectivity and Internet services all fall within our responsibilities. In support of our campus mission the NEC HelpDesk strives to assist students with technology issues and more importantly to help them become as self sufficient as possible. Just as with knowing to have your car’s oil changed, (or a more contemporary example – sending a text message or tweet) computers and their basic maintenance have become a routine part of everyone’s work and personal life. Teaching these life skills is one of our contributions to the learning process.
About Information Technology at NEC
- Discounts on Computers and Software
- Web Addresses for Directly Accessing NEC Services
- Tip Sheet_Contacting the NEC Helpdesk
Help Desk hours (Sept.-May)
Monday-Thursday 8:30am-6:00pm Friday 8:30am-4:30pm Summer Help Desk hours: 8:30-4:30pm, Monday-Friday For any technology questions feel free to contact the Helpdesk by email or by calling 603.428.2350. You may also visit the helpdesk in person in the lower level of the Danforth Library.
- Changing Email and Network Password on Campus PC
- Access a Different Mailbox via Webmail
- Access Different Mailbox in Outlook
- Group Email Request
- System Access Request for New Hires or New Accounts
- SmartPhone email
Information and Tutorials for Blackboard
Understanding and Building Your Course
- Overview of Version 9.1 (pdf )
- Adding Course Content (pdf)
- Adding Textbook information (3 min video)
- Course Files (drag and drop multiple files at once – 7 min video)
- Adding a Blank Page to the menu (2 min video)
- Adding a Banner to the Course Entry Page (2 min video)
- Using the new Text Editor (4 min video)
- Adding Multimedia through Mashups (3 1/2 min video)
Communicating and Collaborating
- Setting up and using a Blog (3 min video)
- Grading a Discussion Forum (2 1/2 min video)
- Creating a Journal (3 1/2 min video)
- Wikis Creating a Wiki (2 min video) Editing a Wiki Page (2 min video) Grading a Wiki (2 min video)
- Getting Started with the 9.1 Grade Center (pdf)
- Customizing the view of the Grade Center (2 min video)
- Creating Smart Views–make grading easier (3 1/2 min video)
File Naming/Type Requirements
For any file you post into Blackboard, ensure to follow the below requirements:
- Use a supported file type such as MS DOC, XLS, PPT, RTF, PDF.
- Use only letters, numbers and underscores (_) in file names.
- Don’t use periods in your file names except before the extension.
- Don’t use spaces, commas, pound signs (#), question marks, equal signs, dashes or any other special characters in your file names.