Transfer | New England College
Accepted Students Parents and Families Alumni Students, Faculty & Staff


Transfer Policies for School of Graduate & Professional Studies

For graduate degree programs, up to eight credits may be awarded for graduate courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions of higher education provided that the final 30 credits of any degree are earned at New England College. The completed course(s) must have a grade of “B” or better, and must be analogous to the NEC graduate course requirement for which credit is requested.

Transfer credit will be awarded only for course work completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher education or the equivalent in other countries. New England College awards credit only; grades and other academic honors from other institutions are not recorded on a student’s academic record, with the exception of courses taken through New Hampshire College and University Council (NHCUC) schools after a student has matriculated at New England College.

The evaluator reviews each course on an individual basis by comparing catalog course descriptions and reviewing any other appropriate documents. A course equivalent will be assigned to each course granted transfer credit and the evaluator will indicate if that credit will apply to general education requirements. If the student has indicated a major, the evaluator will indicate if that credit will apply to degree requirements. Transfer credits are awarded on a credit-by-credit basis only. For example, a four-credit course elsewhere will be granted four credits at New England College even if the equivalent course has a three-credit base here. Students transferring from institutions on the quarter-hour system will be granted .67 semester hours per quarter hour. Not all credits granted will necessarily be applicable to degree requirements. If previous course work is deemed to have no applicability to a degree program, or if no comparable course at New England College can be identified, and yet the course work is deemed comparable to college-level work, then unassigned elective credit may be granted.

Evaluation for transfer credit will be made at the time of a student’s admission to New England College.  Transcript credit awards are contingent upon official admission into the graduate or professional studies program. Students who have attended other institutions of higher education must include official transcripts from all previous institutions in their application, regardless of whether or not they wish to be granted credit for that work. Course work in progress at the time of application will be evaluated on a tentative basis and credit awarded pending receipt of an official transcript.  Courses taken at other institutions after a student is enrolled at New England College must be cleared in advance through the Graduate Student Services office. Students must complete the Course Approval Form and submit it to the Student Services Office, which coordinates with the respective academic director for approval prior to enrolling in a course at another institution. Students who do not receive prior approval will need to petition the Dean for acceptance of the transfer credit and are not guaranteed approval.

Students who repeat courses at New England College for which they have already received transfer credit will lose that transfer credit.

Students transferring from institutions where course work is graded by non-traditional mechanisms will be asked to request that the institution provide letter equivalents or written evaluations from individual instructors.

All transfer credits are tentative until substantiated by official transcripts or documents provided by the original educational institution.