Biology is the study of living organisms. Our vibrant and exciting Bachelor of Science in Biology program engages you with courses encompassing both organismal and molecular biology, including general biology, animal physiology, evolution, genetics, plants and human affairs, zoology, and many others.
You will be challenged with countless hands-on learning experiences and many opportunities to do real science, both in your classes and in federally-funded research laboratories. Every biology major completes a year-long research project. Many students present this work at local undergraduate meetings, and even international scientific conferences.
At New England College you will have opportunities for professional internships, biology-related travel courses, earning credits for getting certified as a biology teacher, and employment in our Summer Undergraduate Research Program. We will help you attain your career goals, whether that be graduate school or employment in such places as educational institutions, federal agencies, pharmaceutical companies, and private industry.
Biology & Health Sciences. Produced by NEC Students.
Biology: Learn by Doing at New England College
The Biology program makes extensive use of experiential learning in and out of the classroom. It’s real, hands-on science.
- Federally-funded Summer Undergraduate Research Program: ten weeks of full-time summer employment working in a research lab.
- Frequent research, seminar, symposia, and training opportunities at the College and in partnership with several other academic institutions in the state through the New Hampshire’s Idea Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (NH-INBRE) network.
- “Snacking on Science Seminars.” Bi-weekly seminars presented by New England College researchers, alumni, and external scientists.
- Tropical Marine Biology. This course, offered every year, includes travel to the reefs and Mayan ruins of Belize for further study and exploration. Check out our student-driven Belize Blog to learn more about our January 2016 course trip! Fourteen students and two faculty spent five days snorkeling on the reef and conducting research for a lab project. http://necbelize2016.tumblr.com/
Career Opportunities in Biology
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Physician (MD/DO)
- Federal agencies such as the Division of Marine Fisheries,
US Army Corps of Engineers, and the USDA
- Pharmaceutical work/research
- Private industry careers
- Teaching in schools or with the general public
- Master’s and doctorate programs in research