Environmental Studies and Sustainability
Environmental Studies and Sustainability at New England College is an amazing opportunity for those who wish to make their mark in a rapidly growing profession. After completing core courses in environmental policy, ethics, economics, and research methods, students get to select courses from a variety of expertise areas including Social Justice, Sustainable Development, Sustainable Business Enterprise, Water Resources, Soil Science, Energy and the Environment, Solid Waste Management, Air Quality, and Sustainability Project Finance Modeling. Students gain professional experience through internships, in-depth investigations, and professional collaborations, and have an opportunity to complete another major or minor in a related program such as Outdoor Education.
Environmental Studies & Sustainability: Learn by Doing at New England College
- Exciting, resume-building internships with leading environmental organizations.
- Analytical courses that provide hands-experience in biology, ecology, chemistry, calculus, environmental policy, ethics, economics, environmental sustainability, and research methods.
- Year-long research projects on a topic developed in collaboration with faculty and outside collaborators.
- Travel courses on tropical marine biology, which includes 10 days of field research in Belize.
- Travel courses on social justice and community service, which includes 10 days of research and service in New Orleans and the gulf coast region of the United States.
- International summer internships and research programs in destinations like Cost Rica and Panama.
Career Opportunities in Environmental Studies & Sustainability
- Nonprofit organizations such as the Conservation League of Voters, the Sierra Club, the National Audubon Society, and many others.
- State and federal agencies such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, United States Fish and Wildlife, New Hampshire (NH) Department of Environmental Services, NH Fish and Game, NH Department of Transportation, NH Public Utilities Commission, and many others.
- Wastewater Operations
- Solid Waste Management
- Environmental Consulting
- Sustainability Coordination
- Environmental Education