Student Employment | New England College
Contact Us Calendar Campus Map
Accepted Students Parents and Families Alumni Students, Faculty & Staff

Student Employment

Student Employment is a great way for students to get involved on campus or in the community, earn extra money, as well as gain valuable skills in the workplace. At New England College, we encourage students to gain not only academic experience, but also work experience.

Federal Work Study Program

How do I become eligible to participate in the Federal Work Study Program?

  • The Federal Work Study Program provides an opportunity for students to apply for a job that have demonstrated financial need through the completion of their FAFSA. Once you complete your FAFSA, you will be able to see on your award letter if you are eligible to participate. An award of Federal Work Study indicates your eligibility to find and apply for a job, however it is not a guarantee of employment.

I was awarded Federal Work Study. Now what?

  • If Federal Work Study is listed on your award letter, you should attend our annual Job Fair, called the ConNECtions Fair, at the beginning of the fall semester. Employers looking for jobs will be here looking for you! Look for jobs that are interesting to you or are related to your major.
  • If you cannot attend the job fair, you can contact the departments that may be hiring. You should also check with any contacts that you already have on campus (professors, coaches, peer leaders). They may know about a job that would fit with you.
  • If you are still having trouble finding a job, you can always contact Student Financial Services and we can try and help you find a job.

Institutional Work Program

I didn’t qualify for Federal Work Study. Can I still find a job?

  • Students who do not qualify for the Federal Work Study Program may still be able to find a job on campus through our Institutional Work Program. Certain departments on campus have jobs for students that do not qualify for Federal Work Study. Check with Student Financial Services to see what jobs might be available for you. Institutional job opportunities are very limited so be sure to start your job search early!

General Student Employment Questions

I have secured a job. When can I start working?

  • Once you have secured a job, you must complete all of the required paperwork before your first day on the job. Your supervisor will complete the Authorization Form and Job Description with you. Once you obtain these two signed forms, you must come to Student Financial Services (located in the administration building). There you will complete the Student Employee Contract, Confidentiality Statement, Direct Deposit form, W-4 form, and I-9 form.

What should I bring to complete my forms?

  • To complete your Direct Deposit form, you should bring your bank information including: bank name, bank ABA number (routing number), and the account number.
  • To complete your I-9 form, you must present ORIGINAL documents that establish your identity and employment authorization. Click the link below for the list of acceptable documents. You must present either one item from List A or an item from List B and C. Typically NEC students bring either their passport OR their student ID and social security card. You can choose which documents to bring.

Acceptable Documents Needed

I signed up for Direct Deposit but it did not go to my bank. What can I do?

  • If this is your first pay, you will receive a live check. This will go to your NEC mailbox. After the first pay, your direct deposit should run smoothly.

How many hours can I work per week?

  • Students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. During breaks, students may work up to 40 hours per week if the job and funding permit.

When do I get paid/When are time sheets due?

  • Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Click below to see your pay schedule. Time sheets are due to Student Financial Services by 3pm on Tuesdays. Work with your supervisor to ensure they are in on time.

Payroll Schedule

Any other questions?

• If you have any other questions regarding Student Employment, feel free to contact Student Financial Services at: