1. When do I need to do a PO?
Every expense requires a PO. It is best to do this as soon as you know you will be spending the funds. An approved PO must be attached to all invoices/finance forms for payment.
2. Where do I send my PO request?
After completing your request form send it via e-mail to your budget officer who will send it to “email@example.com”
3. How do I know if the vendor is in the database?
You can call X2409 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will look that up for you.
4. Do I always need to put the vendor ID, address and telephone number information on the PO request?
If the vendor is already in the database with their ID (some have generic numbers), it is not necessary. Address and telephone information does change and we are not always aware of it, so address and telephone information is helpful. It should be noted on the e-mail that this is a change of address. The same is true of the vendor name. If it is a change, we need to know.
5. If I send a PO request will you try to get better pricing?
We try to look for better pricing on most PO requests, as time allows or at your request.
6. Can a vendor name be changed on a PO?
No, a vendor name is hard coded when the PO is produced.
7. Do I have to get a new PO to increase the expense?
There is a PO increase form with the other finance forms. It requires budget officer approval.
8. Can a PO request form be used with the invoice?
No, a PO request is not an approved PO.
9. What can I do if I have an emergency expense?
An approved PO is still required. You can use the red exclamation mark on the toolbar in Outlook and your PO request will get our attention and be processed quickly.
10. What do I do if my budget officer is not available to get an approved PO?
A PO may be approved by a person designated by the budget officer or sent to “email@example.com” with an explanation and we will help.
11. I am confused by the finance forms, which form is used for what purpose?
- Check request: Payment that is needed that does not have an invoice from a vendor. (Example: Ordering books from a catalog and check needs to be sent with order.)
- Cash advance: To receive a check in advance of spending the money. Maximum - $500. Requires receipts.
- Employee Reimbursement: You have spent your personal money for a College expense and wish to be reimbursed. Requires receipts.
- Travel Expense: Payment for expenses incurred while traveling, such as: tolls, mileage, gasoline and other unexpected expenses. Requires receipts.
- PO Increase: Used to add funds to an existing, open PO.
- New Vendor: Information required to add a vendor to the database, so they can be paid.
12. How do I find the right vendor?
We have vendors that we use frequently and in some cases preferred vendors. There are catalogs in Carriage 3 and if you give the ordering information to purchasing quotes will be provided for you.
13. The PO process is new to me and I am confused, can you help?
We will make the time to go over PO’s and other related issues. Please call and set up a time. We have a Power Point presentation that is very helpful for individuals or groups. We also do “refreshers” for those who would like them.
The right vendor is the one that will offer a quality product at a reasonable price. The vendor with the lowest price or an unknown Internet vendor is not always the best. Considerations like service, return policy, shipping/handling charges, and actual delivery after the sale have to be factored in. (That low priced printer may have toner/ink for prices so high that in the long run the initial investment is not a savings.)
14. How long does it take for a PO to be approved?
We strive to return your approved PO within 24 hours. That depends on when the request is received, if the budget officer has approved it, if the funds are available and if all the necessary information is on the request.
15. I want to place an order and have an approved PO but they only accept credit cards.
The order can be placed through purchasing on the College credit card. Packing slips or other paperwork should be sent to purchasing to be used as documentation for the credit card expense.
16. Where can we get a tax exempt form?
Tax exempt forms are available at the Finance Office in Carriage. We also have some for other states that may be used when conducting business in other states.
17. What do I do with the approved PO?
Attach PO to the back of an invoice or finance form for payment. A PO alone will not pay anything.
18. Who do I contact to get a PO?
You can create a PO request using the finance PO form and send the request to your budget officer for approval.