DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MEMORIZE THESE QUESTIONS!!!! AN INTERVIEW IS NOT A QUIZ!!!! These are presented here simply to give you an opportunity to practice, and think of ways in which you can describe your skills, motivations, personality and knowledge base.
Breaking the Ice
1. Pottery has always intrigued me. How did you get interested in it?
2. The campus looks very busy. How is your semester going?
3. I see you are involved in sports. How is your season going?
4. I have an extra hour and it’s my first visit to the area. What should I see?
5. Tell me about yourself.
6. What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
7. What have you done that shows initiative and willingness to work?
8. How do you react to criticism?
9. How would your best friend describe you?
10. What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
11. What kind of people do you enjoy working with?
12. What types of people rub you the wrong way?
13. What frustrates you? (Makes you angry?)
14. Are you a joiner or a loner? A leader or follower? A committee member or an executive?
15. How do you spend your spare time? What are your hobbies?
Education and Experience
16. Can you summarize your educational background for me?
17. Why did you decide to attend school at New England College?
18. Why did you major in Communications?
19. Tell me about your grades ... overall and grades in your major. Technical courses?
20. What courses did you like the most? The least? Why?
21. Do you feel you have done the best scholastic work you are capable of?
22. Describe for me the most rewarding accomplishment since you’ve started college.
23. Describe your study habits.
24. How did you finance your education?
25. Do you feel you received a good general education?
26. Why did you drop out of school for a year?
27. How do you spend college vacations?
28. What extra-curricular activities are you involved in? What have you gained from those experiences?
29. Have you plans for furthering your education?
30. If you could start college over, what would you do differently?
31. Tell me about the most satisfying job you ever held. The least.
32. Have you had any work experience related to this position?
33. What kind of boss do you prefer? Tell me about the best boss. The worst.
34. What kind of work interests you the most?
35. What were you doing during the period of time not covered in your resume?
36. Have you had any supervisory experience?
37. What frustrates you on the job?
38. Can you get recommendations from previous employers? Professors?
Career Ambition and Plans
39. Why did you choose this career field?
40. What type of position are you looking for?
41. What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives? When and why did you establish these?
42. What specific goals, other than those related to your occupation, have you established for yourself in the next five years? How are you preparing to achieve them?
43. What qualities does a successful (manager, teacher, counselor, etc.) possess?
44. What do you know about opportunities in your field?
45. What are the most important rewards you expect from your career?
46. What kind of challenge are you looking for?
47. What do you think determines a person’s progress in a good company?
48. How do you determine or evaluate success?
49. What are your ideas on salary?
50. How much money do you hope to earn five years from now?
51. What personal characteristics are necessary for success in your field?
Company or Organization
52. Why do you want to work for this organization?
53. What do you know about our organization?
54. What section (service or product) are you most interested in?
55. Do you prefer large or small companies? Why?
56. What do you think it takes to be successful in a company such as ours?
57. In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our company?
58. Have you ever been a member of a union? Worked with union members?
59. How long would you expect to work here?
60. Are you willing to work overtime?
61. Are you willing to go where the company sends you?
62. What type of work environment are you most comfortable with?
63. Why do you think you might like to live in the community in which our company is located?
64. Why should we hire you?
66. When could you start work?
67. If we invite you to our plant (main office) in Boston, Massachusetts, would you be able to come?
68. Is there anything else I should know about you?
69. Do you have any other questions?