Please click here for the latest news about how NEC is managing the coronavirus outbreak
Have you ever wondered why people act and think as they do? Do you want to go beyond wondering and find real answers? If these questions intrigue you, like they do us, then our Bachelor of Arts in Psychology program is for you.
Faculty are passionate about issues like human development, motivation, relationships, and mental health. We will provide you with numerous opportunities for growth and a better understanding of yourself and others in our nurturing environment. Challenged, encouraged, and supported, you will become self-directed and able to analyze and solve problems.
NEC’s Psychology program is designed to help you achieve your goals to work in the field of human services, go to graduate school, or become a better sales person, communicator, or employer. The program is currently the only undergraduate program in New Hampshire that fulfills the core competencies required to work in the field at the bachelor level. Our program prepares students to work as a case manager, skill coach, teaching assistant, or technical assistant.
We are very proud of our graduates who use their psychology degrees to make a difference in their communities. We hope you become one of them.
General Psychology Concentration: provides students a strong foundational overview of the various disciplines within the practice of psychology and prepares students for graduate school. Learn more.
Human Services Concentration: helps students prepare for direct entry in the field as a case manager, skill coach, teaching assistant, or technical assistant. This concentration also prepares students for graduate school. Learn more.
Psychology: Learn by Doing at New England College
The Psychology program employs experiential learning in and out of the classroom. We engage all students to reflect and explore current personal, societal, and environmental challenges.
- You will engage in real life application of psychology through service projects, educational and inspiring internships, and site visits to local agency and direct service providers.
- You will work directly with psychology practitioners in the field.
- Along with exploring the application of psychology as a helping profession, you will learn to generate original findings by conducting your own research. You will be trained to use science to provide explanations of human behavior and attitudes, and utilize and develop your observation and reasoning skills to generate sound answers.
- Many students present their research at local, regional, and national conferences. You may also take a leadership role and help host campus-wide educational events for others in the NEC community.
- Students are also challenged to compete and test their knowledge in the annual “PsychCup” at the New Hampshire Psychological Association meeting.
Career Opportunities in Psychology
Psychology majors enjoy a wide range of opportunities in careers such as:
- Social work
- Direct service with a variety of clientele including individuals with autism, development delays, and emotional difficulties
- Criminal justice
- Medicine and nursing